INTERNATIONAL PUBLIC SPEAKING COMPETITION, 2017 – CITY HEATS
KARACHI CHAPTER, SATURDAY, 4TH FEBRUARY, 2017
Registration Rules & Instructions
- A maximum of 2 students (age group 16 to 20 years only are eligible) and 2 teachers (Each teacher mentoring one student) or one teacher mentoring two students per school / college may register.
- The name(s) of student(s) with her/his mentoring teacher must be clearly stated in the Registration form so that we can identify and accordingly award the teacher of winning student.
- The for must carry Principal’s signature and school stamp and be submitted along with the Principal’s Letter of Approval and parents Letter of Consent. Forms submitted without them will not be accepted.
- The Participation Rules must be read, understood and the undertaking should be duly signed by each participant, whether teacher or student, and bear the school / college stamp.
- The institutions must e-mail us their regret or confirmation of participation at our E-address:
email@example.com or at firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, 26th January, 2017.
- The forms should be filled on line, downloaded to attach a passport sized photograph of the participant/training teacher, signed and sent by courier or registered post or by hand to Mr. Ashfaq Memon at following address: 91, Shahrah-e-Iran, Clifton, Karachi.
- The forms must definitely reach us latest by 4:00 p.m. Tuesday, 31st January, 2017 (In case some untoward incident paralyses the city on the said date, then, by the next day).
- All participants are required to register at the venue – Beach Luxury Hotel – at 8:30 a.m. on (Saturday, 4th February, 2017) for the competition.
- The competition will commence at 9:00 a.m. sharp. It will break for Prayers and lunch at 1:15 p.m. and resume at 2:15 p.m. The competition will conclude at 5:30 p.m. Kindly follow programme.
- Each participating student, other than her/his mentoring teacher, may be accompanied by one or both parents and two school/class mates to support them.
- The Competition comprises of two sessions.
- Session One is for the prepared speech on the theme mentioned in the invitation letter. The duration of the speech is not less than 5 minutes and not more than 5:30 minutes. Speakers, who continue to speak beyond 5 minutes, shall lose points. Speakers continuing their speech after third bell shall stand disqualified.
- A Q/A session of 3-4 minutes will follow; 4 questions will be asked for clarification of some points of the speech – 2 by the judges and 2 by the audience. Answers will be marked.
- The second session is for Impromptu Speech of 3 minutes. Speakers will be given a specific topic (NOT themes) to talk on and 15 minutes of preparation time. The aim is to develop among students ability to think on their feet and draw upon their general knowledge, observations, experience and conviction to be good communicators.
- For further queries, please contact the Chairperson ESUP at email@example.com or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once the school apprises us of its intent to participate and notifies us with the names of the participants, the ‘Rules of Participation’ and ‘Guidelines for Preparation’ will be emailed to the Principal or designated person.
Competition – Poetry – Rules & Regulations
The English Speaking Union of Pakistan (ESUP) is pleased to announce its first All Pakistan Poetry Competition.
One of the aims of the ESUP in holding this poetry competition is to establish standards of literary excellence. Contestants are therefore advised to submit entries that reflect genuine literary merit and artistic skill.
Note : Owing to constraints of time, substandard or pedestrian work will not be entertained.
- The competition is open to all citizens of Pakistan falling under below mentioned categories :
- Category A : Person who has attained the age of 18 on June 15, 2006.
- Category B : Person who is between the age of 10-18 years. on June 14, 2006.
- Entries should be submitted not later than Tuesday, October 31, 2006.
- Material submitted must be authentic and original.
- Contestants of Category A will be required to send three photographs, copy of NIC and a fee of Rs.100/-.
- Participants of Category B will be required to get their age and entry certified by the head/principal of their respective college along with three photographs and a fee of Rs.100/-.
- ESUP reserves the right for selection of contestants and approval of the submitted material for the participation.
- Each contestant will have to submit four copies of a manuscript.
- Poems should not be less than 20 lines and not exceed 50 lines.
- Manuscripts must be computer-typed in double-space on single side of a sheet of paper.
- Each contestant must submit not more / not less than three entries.
- All entries should be submitted on A4 size sheets of paper, Manuscripts must bear Contestant Registration Number.
- Adjudication will be carried out by four independent judges.
- The names of the judges will be kept strictly confidential.
- The verdict of the judges will be final and binding.
- Results will be announced on this website.
- Readings of winning entries will take place on a date to be fixed subsequent to the announcement of results.
- CATEGORY A (18+)
- First Prize : Rs. 60,000/-
- Second Prize : Rs. 40,000/-
- Third Prize : Rs. 20,000/-
- CATEGORY B (10-18)
- First Prize : Rotating Annual “A H Haroon Silver Cup”
Prizes Distribution Ceremony
The prize distribution ceremony of first poetry lauraete competition of the English Speaking Union of Pakistan will be held on Friday, December 1, 2006 at Beach Luxury Hotel, Karachi at 5pm. All members of the union, competitor and their parents are cordially invited in the function.
June 16,17 & 18 2009 – Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday
Who’s Under Where?
|Jane Pritchard||Fizza Zehra|
|Sybil Brunt||Maliha Khan|
|Paul Pritchard||Muneeb Ur Rehman|
|George Brunt||Aamir Butt|
|Roger Hodge||Mehboob Haq|
As the curtain rises, the audience is introduced to two women. Jane Pritchard and Sybil Grunt, in a luxury hotel room, discussing an upcoming fashion show of their own designer line of lingerie for a rich, Italian prospective buyer. Upon their first exit, comes the introduction to their medding husbands, George Brunt and Paul Pritchard, whose utter misunderstanding of the situation leads to much humorous interaction. Fully using their surroundings to enhance their performance, these characters continue to dodge the randy Hotel security from Roger Hodge, adding to the slapstick dimensions to the antics. Meanwhile, the appearance of frufruelli, the Italian designer, also provides ample opportunities, with male models, lingerie and live mannequins in a helter-skelter mass of confusion, racking up the laughter and keeping the audience guessing at the final outcome.
|Production Manager||Sanam Mughal||Stage Manager||Reema Faisal|
|Set Desgin||S. Malikzai||Set Construction||Anwar Dubail|
|Make-up||S. Huma Tahir||Prompting||Samrah & Annie Malik|
|Properties||Raza Virani||Dialogue Coach||Amer Pasha|
|Casting Adviser||Tipu Sharif||Sound||Adnan Rashid|
|Lighting||Adnan & Shahid Hussain||Wardrobe||Sania Jamal|
|ESUP Coordination||Mrs. Avi Mobed|
International Programmes and Events
- Pakistan has been represented by students at the International Public Speaking Competition held in London every year since 1999. Miss Sidra Iqbal won the competition in 1999.
- Delegates from Pakistan have attended the international Relations Conference at Oriel College, Oxford in 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2006 and 2007 Miss Sidra Iqbal was the delegates in 2006.
- ESUP was represented at International Council Meetings in 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005 and 2006.
- The Cultural Seminar has been attended by Pakistani delegates in 2000 and 2001.
- Pakistan hosted the International Council Meeting at Karachi in 1997 and invited the guests to visit Lahore and Islamabad.
- A Bell Scholarships was awarded to Pakistan in 1999.